Notice to Our Donors
We are excited to announce that Disabled Sports Eastern Sierra (DSES) recently purchased Fern Creek Lodge in June Lake, California as the new site for the National Wounded Warrior Center (NWWC). At the request of the lead donor, the facility will be formally renamed the Jack & Kathy Copeland Center at Fern Creek Lodge (also called “The Copeland Center”). The facility will be home to enhanced short and long-term programs for military service members and veterans with disabilities, and provide opportunities for multi-day adaptive recreation camps for people of all ages and backgrounds with disabilities. This new site has a unique history and strong sense of place with a charming retreat style feel among aspens, a seasonal creek, and open space backing up to US Forest Service land. Consistent with our mission, The Copeland Center will offer veterans with disabilities the resources and knowledge they need to return to civilian life with confidence, hope, and skills to find successful employment and build strong families.
Donations to the NWWC fund will be used to renovate the facilities, establish, and operate the Center as envisioned, which includes:
- Updated, accessible facility comprised of eight cabins and an historic lodge
- Specialized areas for learning, fitness, dining, shared lounge
- Group dining area, gathering spaces, and a professional kitchen
- Patio, laundry, manager’s office, on-site storage, etc.
- Enhanced military programs based at The Copeland Center:
- Therapeutic outdoor recreation to restore purpose and joy in veterans’ lives
- Individual transition plan development for transition to civil life
- Jump start higher education in Mammoth Lakes
- Lodging and guidance to pursue employment internships and vocational training
- Robust outreach and intake process to define a personalized program and goals for each participant
- Mentorship and follow up to support participants success beyond initial programs
- Programs delivered by dedicated staff members, local organizations and leaders, and visiting expert speakers/mentors
We understand that this change in site slightly deviates from our original plan for the Center which was slated for new construction on Mammoth Lakes Foundation land near Cerro Coso Community College. As such, to the extent you made a donation between July 1, 2013 and November 30, 2021 and do not agree with the modification, believing it to no longer align with the specific intent of your donation, we are providing you a one-time option to have your NWWC donation refunded as follows:
REFUND REQUEST: You may request we refund your donation by contacting us at LMartin@DisabledSportsEasternSierra.org with the subject line “Refund of NWWC Donation.” Please indicate in your email how you would like the refund to be processed – by check or wire transfer with supporting details such as address to mail check to, account and routing numbers, etc. Additionally, please provide the following information: (1) Name of Donor, (2) Date of Donation, (3) Amount of Donation, (4) Amount of Desired Refund. PLEASE NOTE: We strongly recommend that you first consult with your tax advisor to understand the tax implications and potential fees or fines that may incur with respect to charitable deductions associated with the refunded donation. You must submit the refund request by January 7, 2021. Please allow us 30 days from the date of your refund request to review and process your refund.
If you made a donation to the NWWC Fund and support using the donated funds as described above, you do not need to take any further action. Your donation will remain in the NWWC fund and will be used for the aforementioned purposes. You may continue to donate to the fund to support our upcoming programs should you desire. Failure to notify DSES to request a refund in accordance with this terms set forth above and within the refund opt-in deadline will be deemed an acceptance and consent of any prior restriction placed on previously donated grant funds for the purposes set forth above.
Addressing the needs of service members and veterans with disabilities continues to be a top priority for DSES, and we appreciate your support!
If you have any questions about the above, please contact Laura at LBeardsley@DisabledSportsEasternSierra.org.